How to Get Out of Student Loan Debt a.k.a. Indentured Servitude
Americans owe over $1 trillion in student loans, an average of $30,000 for every graduate. These loans, unlike any other form of debt, will not be dismissed—even in bankruptcy. Decades ago someone could work summers and put themselves through school. That’s not feasible in modern times because the price of a higher education has risen 500% since 1985, as colleges have been turned into fiefdoms for avaricious administrators.
Ironically, an education system that used to be the gateway to the middle class looks outdated and like a ticket to bondage in the Information Age. It has been manipulated by bankers and politicians in such a way its now designed to turn young men and women into pliable debt slaves, selling them an education that is increasingly worthless as the market becomes saturated with rubber stamps from a magic piece of paper system. Popular media personality Mike Rowe has frequently discussed the insanity of such a system as he pushes the unpopular idea that maybe college education shouldn’t be for everyone.
If we are lending money that ostensibly we don’t have to kids who have no hope of making it back in order to train them for jobs that clearly don’t exist, I might suggest that we’ve gone around the bend a little bit.
Gone around the bend, we have. Nearly half of college graduates are underemployed. According to Rowe, there are 3.9 million blue collar jobs available right now that nobody wants. Jobs in transportation, commerce, and trades. Many of them pay well. The problem is, for generations students have been steered towards a one-size-fits-all idea of what a worthwhile career is while taking on enormous amounts of debt. The brainwashing about the miracles of a college education begins at age five and continues through elementary and high school, when adults pushing these fantasies on kids should know supply and demand economics well enough to figure out not everyone is going to end up with a great job—even if they follow the life plan being pushed on them.
The last couple of years in high school the big topic is college, college, college, pushed by amoral guidance counselors who tell students the only respectable way to make a living is to get a degree and then become a corporate drone for 40 to 50 years. Then, these former students turn 30 years old, deeply in debt and disillusioned before they realize they’ve been had by an education system that only is interested in its own self-aggrandizement.
Market Watch laid out some interesting trends about today’s education system fantasies. According to “journalists” the average college graduate makes about $78,000 a year. Pardon me while I clean up the tea I just spewed while laughing at that statistic….it goes without saying a LOT of students will never earn that much in today’s decaying job market. Here are some numbers that reflect reality a little better:
- 19% of underemployed college graduates are making about $23,500 a year on average flinging coffee-themed milk shakes at Fivebucks, and in other low-skilled jobs like bartenders and cashiers
- 26% are making about $37,000 a year working in office and administrative positions, in other words, living life in Office Space hell
And, of course the numbers skew worse for younger college graduates, according to a report entitled Are College Graduates Finding Good Jobs?
In all years, the underemployment rates is higher for recent college graduates than for college graduates as a whole, indicating that underemployment is consistently more widespread for this group.
So, what does the average man who drunk the “go to college” Kool-Aid do when he finds himself either underemployed or unemployed because the Evil White Male™ need not apply, or will be last in line for promotion? Or his company sold its soul at the altar of globalization? He fucks over and sells out a system that has repeatedly fucked him over and sold him out. In other words, he legally manipulates the circumstances to his advantage. He goes Galt. What does Going Galt mean? According to The Atlas Society:
- “Going Galt” means asking in the face of new taxes and government controls, “Why work at all?” “For whom am I working?” “Am I a slave?”
- “Going Galt” means recognizing that you’re being punished not for your vices but for your virtues.
- “Going Galt” means recognizing that you have a moral right to your own life, the pursuit of your own happiness, and thus to the rewards you’ve earned with your labor.
- “Going Galt” means recognizing that you deserve praise and honor for your achievements rather than damnation as “exploiters.”
- “Going Galt” means recognizing that you do not need to justify your life or wealth to your neighbors, “society,” or politicians, or bureaucrats. They’re yours, period!
- “Going Galt” means recognizing that the needs of others do not give them a claim to your time, effort, and achievements.
- “Going Galt” means shrugging off unearned guilt, refusing to support your own destroyers, refusing to give them what Ayn Rand termed “the sanction of the victim.” It means taking the moral high ground by explicitly rejecting as evil the premise of “self-sacrifice” that they sell to you as a virtue— in fact “self-sacrifice” is an invitation to suicide.
More than a great novel, Atlas Shrugged provides the blueprint for the Red Pill man to escape exploitation.
For many of us, the reward promised to us since childhood for time served and good beta male behavior vanished as soon as we went to collect it. It wasn’t through accident that it vanished. The disappearance was by design of cultural Marxists and the corporate-government complex. A decent wife, white picket fence, decent work for decent pay, a new car every decade or so, and a few bucks in the bank for retirement has become a pipe dream as American workers are shamelessly sold out in the 21st century with everything from NAFTA and CAFTA to TPP to other “free trade” agreements, which are really precursors to global government. Not to mention feminism teaching women to hate men.
When “Neo” figuratively wakes up and realizes the reality of the incubator he’s been placed into, who can blame him for just wanting out of a system that sold him out and deceived him? Especially if he just wants his freedom back!
So, I came up with a plan. It’s not without sacrifice. Here are some pros and cons of the plan:
- Pro: Moves men to a life of minimalism instead of one of consumerism, after all it doesn’t take much for a man to live on.
- Pro: Stops men from turning themselves into meal tickets for women.
- Pro: Takes tax dollars and productivity out of a system that exploits and hates men.
- Pro: Punishes banksters and government officials who caused the price of education to soar beyond reach by inflating an education bubble with taxpayer money.
- Con: Some will be so enamored of the vision of a life of consumerism they will attack those who promote the plan. As Morpheus warns Neo: You have to understand. Most people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured and so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it.
- Con: Forces serious lifestyle changes.
- Con: Cuts down on investment potential. (Can be mitigated through lower cost of living).
A little background on why I developed this plan: I made a solid effort to repay my student loans, making installments on a meager income for years only to see the balance really didn’t go down that much. I didn’t make much money, so even after college I was largely just paying interest on student loans for 10 years. Personally, in my chosen profession of television news I knew I wouldn’t be making much money the first 10 years, but I was assured that after a decade in the business I would have “paid my dues” and earn a decent salary.
But, there is no “paying of dues” anymore as media corporations have sold everyone out. Young, vacuous, just out of college girls now fill positions that required a minimum of 10 years of experience back in the day. HR harridans relentlessly punish disobedience to the female superiority agenda and heresy against Evil White Male™ doxy. TV news is a field has become miserable to work in, spouting Marxism (which I hate) 24/7, and is a revolving door with no sense of security and a higher than average suicide rate.
Suffice it to say I was on the chopping block because I was making “too much money” and they could get a just out of college girl for literally half price. Not to mention I had blonde hair, blue eyes, and a penis, the wrong traits to have in the 21st century. I refused to contribute anymore to broadcasts on which I was regularly being demonized as a white man. I was sold a false bill of goods without the possibility of a refund.
All the reasons I went to college in the first place rather than going straight into employment were stripped away—intentionally—by a collusion of corporate and government interests to sell out the American worker. I needed a way out. So, after paying off all my consumer debt and selling everything I owned, I devised this Going Galt plan to escape student loan debt—playing by the very rules the system made up.
- Step One: Quit your job and go for a lower paying job, preferably abroad where the cost of living is lower, the women aren’t fatties, and there is still a modicum of freedom. Importantly, the total cost of living for a single man abroad is less than the average child support payment! Failing that, minimalism is an option if you want to stay stateside. As featured in numerous articles about minimalism on my blog, there are even tiny house living options for the fraction of the cost of a new house.
- Step Two: Call your loan servicer and get a temporary unemployment or economic hardship deferment. (Careful, only three years of these over the life of the loan are allowed.) Other alternatives include getting on a tiered repayment plan with lower payments until you complete a full year of a new, lower income lifestyle for your W-2 forms.
- Step Three: File taxes with your new, lower income the following year. For Federal student loans, you can earn 1.5x the poverty rate and not be forced to pay a dime—and without ruining your credit as long as you get on an income-based repayment. That’s currently $17,820 annually or $1,485 monthly you can earn (on the books—heh) without paying a dime back. Submit income tax information to your loan servicer to be placed on an IBR. Re-certify your low income status each year.
- Step Four: If you wish to earn more than $17,820 your repayments will be capped at 10% to 15% of your income above that amount. The goal is to find the right balance between minimalism, investing, and finding a job you can live with.
- Step Five: For recent grads, the loans are forgiven in 20 years; for older grads they’re forgiven in 25 years. Obama has capped the amount that can be forgiven at just over $59,000.
As alluded to earlier, it is recommended one pay off ALL consumer debt before attempting this plan. This will make the transition to a lower income, simpler life possible. The beauty of this plan is it doesn’t take much for a man to live on once he’s deprogrammed himself of the consumer fantasies put into his mind his entire life. Personally, if a government can’t offer me anything but villainization for being a white man, a society can’t offer a decent woman who is not a whore or a man-hating feminist, it breaks promises of gainful employment and job security through shoddy government and banking policies, it manipulates the supply of college degrees and cost of an education in a way that turns men into debt slaves, and further enslaves men with child support and alimony, why in the hell am I going to kill myself supporting that system?
Inspiration to push back against exploitation of male labor and productivity, student loan ball and chains, misandry, discrimination against white men, and other assorted misadventures comes from the classic Ayn Rand novel. In Atlas Shrugged, Francisco d’Anconia, who blew up all the copper mines in the world, said this about John Galt:
He had quit the Twentieth Century. He was living in a garret in a slum neighborhood. He stepped to the window and pointed at the skyscrapers of the city. He said that we had to extinguish the lights of the world, and when we would see the lights of New York go out, we would know that our job was done.
John Galt himself said it best:
There is only one kind of men who have never been on strike in human history … the men who have carried the world on their shoulders, have kept it alive, have endured torture as sole payment … Well, their turn has come. Let the world discover who they are, what they do and what happens when they refuse to function. This is the strike of the men of the mind.
College graduates who get shafted as the system they invested their entire lives in changes the rules, these men of the mind, must stop supporting a system that sees them as nothing more than tax-paying pack mules for women and society. How do we do that? By going on strike and removing ourselves from a system that exploits us. Unless men take real world action, internet frustration is accomplishing nothing but hyperbole. If watching the world go by for over three decades has taught me anything, culminating in Hillary getting her charges dismissed, it’s that rules and laws are for fucking losers. It’s those who break the rules that win.
Or, in this case, those who manipulate a bureaucracy’s own rules and regulations against it to escape a predatory education loan system and its debt slavery.
Help us grow by making a purchase from our Recommended Reading and Viewing page or our Politically Incorrect Apparel and Merchandise page or buy anything from Amazon using this link. You can also Sponsor The New Modern Man for as little as $1 a month. This The New Modern Man article originally ran on Return of Kings.